Source file genetic.c

From: Giovanni Perego <giovanni.perego_at_grupposandonato.it>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 00:26:00 +0200

Hi Tomaz
Lately I have studied your source file "genetic.c" to understand exactly
the behavior of genetic parameters, since I must make some test with
unusual values.
I have noticed that there is some difference among the man page relative to
genetic parameters "mutatepart" and "randpart" and the source code. In the
source, values for these parameters are actually doubled, since mutations
are performed only on the first half of the population. I think you'd
better correct the man page to reflect this situation or to add the
explanation that the first half of the population is the parent part and
the second is overwritten and used as children.
I have also noticed the followings:
- mutations are made also on some individual with the highest fitness
since, at the start, the population is checked for sequences with same
fitness and some of these are raised to the maximum value; it seems to me
that these individuals will be overwritten soon by the next mating phase,
since they will be put at the end of population by the qsort procedure;
this means that those mutations could be useless. You could introduce a
cycle to repeat the draw of the individual to be mutated when it hits that
fitness. Anyway I don't know how many times this could happen on each
iteration.
- it is never possibile to extend mutation to a larger part of half the
population; since Tablix is a GA engine, I think it should permit all
parameters combinations, even if strange.
- it is not possibile to vary the population percentage used as parents
- it is not possibile to decide which part of population is kept for next
generation (it seems to me that now it is always a half)
I can't find any more the mathematical details of Tablix GA; I remember to
have read them a long time ago in manuals.