Re: [tablix-list] Timetable question

From: Tomaž Šolc <tomaz.solc_at_tablix.org>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:57:08 +0200

Hi

> At our school students sign up for courses like English 12, Math 12,
> Spanish 12 and History 12. Suppose the principal makes the decision,
> based on enrolment figures, that there will be 3 sections of English 12,
> 2 sections of Math 12, 1 section of Spanish 12 and 2 sections of History
> 12. There is only one teacher of Math 12, one teacher of English 12, one
> teacher of Spanish 12 and one teacher of History 12. My job is to
> arrange these sections so there are no student conflicts. I have two
> questions:
>

> 1. Can Tablix decide how to allocate students to sections in order to
> remove conflicts?
>

> 2. If Tablix can decide how to allocate students to sections, how is
> this achieved, if not what software is available for this allocation
> problem?

Tablix can be used to solve this kind of problems, but it's not
straightforward, because nobody has yet written a module for that.

One way to do it would be to define teachers as a constant resource and
time as a variable resource. One event per section of a course. You
would then need to write a module that takes all the student's choices
as a parameter and counts the number of conflicts as a fitness function.

Best regards
Tomaž