Re: [tablix-list] Tablix 0.2.1 development release

From: Tomaž Šolc <tomaz.solcREMOVE@THISsiol.net>
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 09:56:13 CEST

Hi

> I looked at the wiki example of the new xml config, plus I re-checked
> the
> earlier emails on the same subject. How it is planned to cope with the
> 'more-teachers' and 'more-rooms'? Are these to be handled as multiple
> tags in
> the new <event>? or will we continue to use <restrictions> as in the
> old
> config format? It certainly looks more consistent to use:
>
> <event name="Games 4" repeats="4">
> <resource type="teacher" name="NPR"/>
> <resource type="teacher" name="SAH"/>
> <resource type="class" name="1A"/>
> <resource type="class" name="1B"/>
> </event>

I agree it would be nice for Tablix to support this kind of entry, but
unfortunately this would be very inconsistent with the way Tablix deals
with this internally.

This type of genetic algorithm does not allow one event to have two
teachers and another event to have only one. It would be possible to
extend it to allow this, but I believe that would make more problems
due to more complex code than it would solve. I'm afraid we will stay
with restriction tags for now. Also I don't see that as a big problem
now that XML configuration can be made with gTablix.

The functionality of the "more-teachers" restriction can now be
implemented in the way that is similar to "conflicts-with" restriction
for classes. The new kernel supports conflicts between arbitrary
resources. I'm not sure about the "more-rooms", but in that case I
think it would make more sense to just define two separate events and
say that they should happen at the same time (something like the
"forcesametime.so" module in 0.1.1)?