Re: [tablix-list] gtablix without clusterconf error

From: Boštjan Špetič <igzebedzeREMOVE@THISauch.eu.org>
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 16:10:19 CET

> In the same sort of way, for example only, you are completely right
> about PVM_ROOT. It's required by PVM, not Tablix. However, I
> couldn't get tablix to run until I set it and the cryptic (to me in
> my ignorance) error messages weren't much help. Maybe that's just
> the way I had/have things fouled up here but perhaps also it's
> required for communication between tablix as normally configured and
> pvm - in which case it becomes a little less clear as to which
> program it is that requires it. In any case, it took me a few hours
> and a few gallons of coffee to figure out that's what I had to do.
> I learned a couple of things, too, and that's not a bad thing. But
> time is a limited resource.

well, what ca i say, i have had the same painful experience. the error messages could really be more informative. that is exactly the reason why i like clusterconf - it works for me, without having to know anything.

regarding the philosphy of separate programs in linux... yes, it's nice, but not so user friendly. i would like to think of gtablix as an integrated enviroment someday... a program that will be able to assist users with all aspects of their problem, regardless of the backends needed.

thus, i like your thinking about the pvmroot, it's just not enough for a complete solution. in the perfect world, gtablix would at least recognize the running pvm and start it properly localy... but how to expand this to an actual cluster, i don't know.

what exactly is wrong with clusterconf?

regards, bostjan