Re: [tablix-list] 0.2.0 configuration format

From: John Winters <johnREMOVE@THISsinodun.org.uk>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 14:36:35 CET

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 22:12 +0100, Tomaz Solc wrote:

> | - why aren't the classrooms treated as resources also? it's always
> | nice to have things unified.
>
> I agree, but classrooms are quite different from teachers and classes.

In the way that Tablix handles them at present, yes, but not in any kind
of absolute way. Teachers are more similar to classrooms (being both
resources) than they are to classes.

> Tablix works by assigning each tuple of resources (teacher, class) a
> tuple of coordinates (time, place). What I call "coordinates" is the
> dynamic part of the timetable. "resources" are the static part.

But since it's being re-worked, it may be appropriate to change this
division.

The way Tablix works at present, teachers are allocated to classes as an
input item and then times and locations are calculated dynamically.
This suits me, but it's not inconceivable that a school could want to
set up classes and classrooms as input, then allocate teachers and times
dynamically.

If the central engine is to achieve an improvement in versatility, it
should surely be able to be given a list of resources (teachers,
classrooms, pupils, etc.) and then told which are pre-allocated and
which are to be juggled in the hope of finding a solution?

John

--
John Winters <john@sinodun.org.uk>