Re: [tablix-list] Pale grey means, "I've scheduled a lesson you didn't ask for"!?

From: John Winters <johnREMOVE@THISsinodun.org.uk>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 16:33:08 CET

I've made some further progress investigating the pale grey lessons.

Counting up the lessons in my timetable there should be 5 groups, each
having 3 double maths lessons and 5 groups, each having 3 double english
lessons, making 60 individual lessons in all.

The html timetable as produced shows 72 lessons, but the output file
(result0.xml) lists only 60. However, the first thing I then note is
that there are 12 greyed-out lessons, which exactly makes up the
difference. Further, the greyed-out lessons always appear at the same
time as a real lesson is taking place for the "conflicts-with" group.
It's as if the timetabler is trying to say, "The reason there isn't a
lesson happening here is because it conflicts with this lesson".

That in itself wouldn't be a problem (once we've discovered what the
greyed-out lesson means) but the effect seems to go further. It appears
that some sort of equivalence between groups is set up, to the extent
that the "forcesametime" module regards a state of "Unable to have a
lesson due to explicit conflict" as being the same as "Having a
lesson". Thus, looking at Monday in the attached file we find that
9-MAT3 has its Maths lesson at a different time from 9-MAT1, despite the
explicit requirement that they should be at the same time. However,
9-MAT3's Maths lesson is at the same time as 9-MAT1 is *prevented* from
having a Maths lesson by the shadow of 9-ENG1's English lesson.

This same pattern follows through in all the errors in the results so
I'm pretty confident it's a correct explanation.

Now to dig into the code to see exactly why it's happening.

John

Tablix output

Shiplake College

Shiplake Court, Shiplake, Henley-on-Thames

John Winters

Mon

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9-ENG1 English