Pale grey means, "I've scheduled a lesson you didn't ask for"!?

From: John Winters <johnREMOVE@THISsinodun.org.uk>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 10:28:40 CET

I'm steadily working up a real timetable with Tablix, but I've hit an
oddity since I added some explicit "conflict-with" specifications.
Although the run now ends with a score of 0 0 (all requirements met
completely), when I look at the output files there are some lessons
scheduled for classes which aren't even meant to be having them! Oddly
enough, the software seems to know it's done this because it shows them
in pale grey in the output file instead of the normal darker grey.

I'm puzzled by this. I thought the idea was to take a specified set of
tuples and to fit them as best it could into the schedule. Here it
seems to have made up some un-requested tuples.

I attach an input and output file. Note that 9 MAT1 to 9 MAT5 should be
having Maths lessons and 9 ENG1 to 9 ENG5 should be having English
lessons. For the most part they are, but just in places the software
has scheduled 9 MAT? to have an English lesson and vice versa.

Can anyone de-mystify me please?

Cheers,
John

Tablix output

Shiplake College

Shiplake Court, Shiplake, Henley-on-Thames

John Winters

Mon

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9-ENG1 English