Re: [tablix-list] Tablix roadmap

From: R. Quenett <fridayREMOVE@THISquen.net(R.>
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 17:27:08 CET

from: Tomaž Šolc

" Following is a description of what is planned for Tablix in the next
" year. Suggestions and comments are welcome as always.

I don't know if these are the kinds of suggestions you want or not
(I confess to not being very familiar yet with Tablix and I'm not a
coder, either :-) but I would find Tablix somewhat more suitable to
what I am trying to do if

  1)'Timetable' could be divorced from 'week' since these are only
occasionally coincident, and

  2)periods could be different lengths, and

  3)restrictions could be overridden on a case by case basis.

re 1) 'cycle' might be a better term than week. I've already
changed the source to use d-1, d-2 etc rather than mon, tues, etc

re 2)this already happens in the real world where recess, lunch,
duty, labs (just to name a few things) are not always of the same
duration as each other. In a non-school situation I am aware of,
time is assigned in 'units' where each unit may be, say ten minutes
(or another convenient constant) long. So ELA classes might be,
say, 8 units long and gym might be ten units long.

re 3)for example, three different classes might have ELA separately
with three different instructors but be grouped with one instructor
for gym.

Also, I haven't quite figured out how to timetable for optional
subjects (per group where group might be different from class, or
even per individual student) yet.