Re: [tablix-list] Tablix roadmap

From: John Winters <johnREMOVE@THISsinodun.org.uk>
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 22:02:52 CET

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 19:13, Tomaľ ©olc wrote:
> Hi
>
> Following is a description of what is planned for Tablix in the next
> year. Suggestions and comments are welcome as always.

Two suggestions I would make:

1) I'd tidy up the central data structures to optimise the speed of
processing as far as possible. Have just a simple array of slots
(number of slots == number of periods in the week), with no double
indirection and no double indexing. This is something I've already
looked at, but haven't got beyond the planning stage with. Subsidiary
information (like which day of the week a given period falls on) can be
additional information in the slot. This would speed things up and
greatly facilitate the handling of non-rectangular weeks (or indeed,
other things which don't involve weeks).

2) Funny you should mention RotterTablix. I was just thinking about the
problem of scheduling drivers for a local bus company. It's a
surprisingly similar problem. You have so many routes, so many drivers,
and so many buses and they have to be brought together in tuples. I was
hoping to have a look at it now we've broken up (hurrah!)

Regards,
John