Input File

From: Nicholas Robinson <nprREMOVE@THISbottlehall.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 08:04:39 CET

Hi

Thanks to everyone who's helped me to get this far!

I attach an input file that doesn't get down to zero mandatory errors. If
anyone can offer any suggestions to help me get tablix generate a solution,
I'd be very grateful.

I'm fairly sure it is an accurate representation of our existing (manually
generated and got to version 6 or 7 before all the conflcts were removed, by
week 8 of term!).

The major factors are:

Games don't need to be fixed in the timetable as I've done, but it got a bit
complex trying to specify double-periods and force-same-time across four
classes and involving six teachers. (games are in double periods, with Years
1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 at the same time). If anyone thinks this is the
problem, I'll put it back.

Years 1 and 2 must have English and Maths at the same time so that children
can be moved between the higher (A) and lower (B) classes.

Years 3 to 6 must have English, French and Maths at the same time...

Although we do teach on Weds afternoons, the programme is varied weekly so
I've just blocked it out.

Still to do...

Teacher JL only works on Thurs and Friday.

What I've tried to do at each stage is get it to the point where tablix finds
solutions before adding the next complexity. Intuitively, we aren't short of
teaching rooms, so the problems are teacher time and no free periods for
classes. So the most recent complexity added is to fix the English, Maths
(and French) across the A and B classes. Since I've done this, I've not been
able to get down to 0. As I say, I don't think the problem is space, so I've
added Tomaz' changes for preferred-room as well.

If I can get this working, I'd like to use some of the other modules and
Richard's newest ones to improve the timetable - especially removing the
"split doubles" where we teach the same class twice in one day but in single
lessons.