Re: [tablix-list] schooltool bounty and/or bakeoff

From: Tom Hoffman <tom.hoffmanREMOVE@THISgmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 09:15:42 CEST

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 07:32:41 +0100, John Winters <john@sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 23:04, Tom Hoffman wrote:
> [snip]
> > No, I don't think that's it. It seems like in Europe, when you do
> > timetabling you can say: "OK, this class will meet in this room, with
> > this form or group of 25 students." Most US schools treat each
> > student individually, however. So you can say
>
> When you say, "So you can say" do you mean, "So you Europeans can say"
> or, "So one can say"? I.e. does your next clause refer to US or
> European scheduling.

I was refering to my perception of at least some European scheduling.
Lithuania seems to be that way, with students being scheduled more by
"form" or "set" than individually. Regardless, the system you
describe below is more or less what we do in the US.

> > "OK, we know which
> > classes will be held in which rooms with which teacher," but then each
> > student has to be added to classes individually to fit their
> > requirements. Does that make sense?
>
> I'm not sure. I can't speak for pan-European timetabling, but in all
> the stuff I've come across, a lesson is scheduled with a teacher, a
> location and a time but without at that point knowing which individual
> students will be attending. The whole timetable gets approved *before*
> worrying about individual students.
>
> Students are then allocated to lessons. For lower years this is done
> purely by sets - e.g. "You're in the top set for Maths so you'll be
> attending Mr Winters's classes, which are at ... on ... in ..." and then
> for higher years they have a choice of what subjects to do. The choices
> they make then dictate which lessons they attend. There are
> restrictions on how they make their choices, typically by saying,
> "Choose one subject from each of groups A, B, C and D". Popular
> subjects occur in more than one group, but if the student can't find a
> way of selecting the subjects which he or she wants by choosing one from
> each group then that particular combination is not possible.
>
> Apart from anything else, at the time of creation of the timetable we
> don't even know what subjects the higher level pupils are going to
> choose. They come back early at the start of term to choose their
> subjects, at which time the timetable has to be already in existence.
> They choose their subjects and that choice then dictates the classes
> which they will attend. The database already contains the school
> timetable. By adding their individual subject choices a report can then
> be produced which is their own personal timetable.
>
> Now you can tell us how the USA model differs.

Do the students literally choose which section own section of each
class to take -- "I'll take English 9, at 9:00," or does the system
work out which sections fit their overall schedule (so the student
would select English 9, but the computer would pick the best section,
maybe 9:00, maybe 10:00)? Or perhaps they don't have choices of
multiple sections/meeting times for classes.

We'll get to the bottom of this eventually ;-)

--Tom