Re: [tablix-list] schooltool bounty and/or bakeoff

From: John Winters <johnREMOVE@THISsinodun.org.uk>
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 08:32:41 CEST

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 23:04, Tom Hoffman wrote:
[snip]
> No, I don't think that's it. It seems like in Europe, when you do
> timetabling you can say: "OK, this class will meet in this room, with
> this form or group of 25 students." Most US schools treat each
> student individually, however. So you can say

When you say, "So you can say" do you mean, "So you Europeans can say"
or, "So one can say"? I.e. does your next clause refer to US or
European scheduling.

> "OK, we know which
> classes will be held in which rooms with which teacher," but then each
> student has to be added to classes individually to fit their
> requirements. Does that make sense?

I'm not sure. I can't speak for pan-European timetabling, but in all
the stuff I've come across, a lesson is scheduled with a teacher, a
location and a time but without at that point knowing which individual
students will be attending. The whole timetable gets approved *before*
worrying about individual students.

Students are then allocated to lessons. For lower years this is done
purely by sets - e.g. "You're in the top set for Maths so you'll be
attending Mr Winters's classes, which are at ... on ... in ..." and then
for higher years they have a choice of what subjects to do. The choices
they make then dictate which lessons they attend. There are
restrictions on how they make their choices, typically by saying,
"Choose one subject from each of groups A, B, C and D". Popular
subjects occur in more than one group, but if the student can't find a
way of selecting the subjects which he or she wants by choosing one from
each group then that particular combination is not possible.

Apart from anything else, at the time of creation of the timetable we
don't even know what subjects the higher level pupils are going to
choose. They come back early at the start of term to choose their
subjects, at which time the timetable has to be already in existence.
They choose their subjects and that choice then dictates the classes
which they will attend. The database already contains the school
timetable. By adding their individual subject choices a report can then
be produced which is their own personal timetable.

Now you can tell us how the USA model differs.

Cheers,
John