Re: [tablix-list] schooltool bounty and/or bakeoff

From: Tom Hoffman <tom.hoffmanREMOVE@THISgmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 00:04:20 CEST

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:29:56 +0100, John Winters <john@sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 17:18, Tom Hoffman wrote:
> [snip]
> > I've never been able to figure out from your website whether or not
> > Tablix actually generates each student's schedule, or if it just
> > assigns time slots to entire classes.
>
> I think I can answer that one - it doesn't make any attempt to produce
> individual student timetables. This is a question I spend a lot of time
> addressing at school, despite the fact that I haven't used Tablix for a
> real timetable yet. The vast majority of people seem to muddle up two
> completely different tasks and think of them both as "timetabling".
>
> Task 1
> Produce a workable schedule for all the lessons which will take place.
> This is the task which Tablix addresses.
>
> Task 2
> Produce individual timetables for each student, room, teacher, group
> etc. This is a far simpler and very mechanical problem. In essence,
> all you're doing is providing different views of tables of data from a
> database.

No, I don't think that's it. It seems like in Europe, when you do
timetabling you can say: "OK, this class will meet in this room, with
this form or group of 25 students." Most US schools treat each
student individually, however. So you can say "OK, we know which
classes will be held in which rooms with which teacher," but then each
student has to be added to classes individually to fit their
requirements. Does that make sense?

--Tom