Re: [tablix-list] schooltool bounty and/or bakeoff

From: John Winters <johnREMOVE@THISsinodun.org.uk>
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 21:29:56 CEST

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 17:18, Tom Hoffman wrote:
[snip]
> I've never been able to figure out from your website whether or not
> Tablix actually generates each student's schedule, or if it just
> assigns time slots to entire classes.

I think I can answer that one - it doesn't make any attempt to produce
individual student timetables. This is a question I spend a lot of time
addressing at school, despite the fact that I haven't used Tablix for a
real timetable yet. The vast majority of people seem to muddle up two
completely different tasks and think of them both as "timetabling".

Task 1
Produce a workable schedule for all the lessons which will take place.
This is the task which Tablix addresses.

Task 2
Produce individual timetables for each student, room, teacher, group
etc. This is a far simpler and very mechanical problem. In essence,
all you're doing is providing different views of tables of data from a
database.

In our current system, whenever I raise the question of timetabling
software people think I'm talking about task 2 and say, "But we already
have that". I then have to point out that I'm perfectly happy with our
task 2 software, but the way we currently do task 1 is horrendous.

Writing software to do task 2 is simple, tedious and very mechanical.
Writing software to do task 1 is a really rather interesting problem -
hence my interest in Tablix.

John