Re: [tablix-list] schooltool bounty and/or bakeoff

From: Tomaz Solc <tomaz.solcREMOVE@THISsiol.net>
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 10:38:08 CEST

Hi

> abstract and mathematical. My superficial impression of Tablix's XML
> is that it isn't comprehensive enough to do everything we need to do.
> We want to include individual student scheduling, as you'd do in an
> American high school, for example. SchoolTool is a very international
> project, so we aim to create basic building blocks which can serve a
> wide variety of school designs.

The basic XML format that Tablix is using is so simple because it only
needs to describe the most basic school information (this information I
think is common to all schools). Everything else is provided as
extensions to this format in form of modules.

My experience shows that it is very impractical to have a format that
tries to fit all schools. There are huge differences in timetable
restrictions even between individual schools in my country. I guess they
are even bigger on the international scale. This is the main reason I
wrote Tablix as modular as possible, which includes the XML format. This
way the developers don't need to implement a feature that will be used
only in one or two schools, because the school can implement that
itself.

Can you please explain or give a link to a page where this individual
student scheduling is explained? I don't think we have anything like
this in our country, so I'm not familiar with it.

> We'll have to work out exactly how we'd handle the intellectual
> property issues. Right now code paid for by the Shuttleworth
> Foundation is the property of the foundation, and the copyright for
> contributed code checked into the SchoolTool repository is shared
> between the author and the Foundation. The code is licensed under the
> GPL, but the Foundation reserves the right to issue commercial
> licenses, with profits going back into the foundation's charitable
> work.

Last time I checked this means that the author gives 51% of the
copyright to the Foundation and the code is then available under the
SchoolTool license. This license is currently equal to GPL, but I didn't
see any reasons why it can't be someday changed to something completely
proprietary. This is something that is not really compatible with my
view of free software.