Re: [tablix-list] Enhancing Tablix to support non-rectangular weeks

From: Tomaz Solc <tomaz.solcREMOVE@THISsiol.net>
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 17:04:16 CEST

Hi

> My current view is that there are two separate things here. The
> non-existent periods on Wednesday and Saturday shouldn't be managed by
> scoring because they are always non-existent, regardless of the state
> of the rest of the system. Periods 9 and 10 on the other days should
> be handled by scoring, so this requires just an extra module.

It would require a lot of work to implement different number of periods
for each day. Besides, this really isn't something that should be
handled this way. I think the main part of Tablix (the kernel) should be
kept as simple as possible and all of the restrictions should be
implemented in modules. This is also important because I'm trying to
make Tablix usable even on old hardware and it is very important that it
is possible to remove all functionality that isn't needed.

You shouldn't think that the last two periods on Wednesdays and
Saturdays should not be handled by genetic algorithm because they must
always be empty. There are a lot of other restrictions that must also be
always satisfied (one teacher can't be in two places in the same time,
etc.) and have always been handled by genetic algorithm. This is why
some restrictions can be marked "mandatory".

You can solve your particular problem with a module
"class_freeperiod.so" that was contributed a week ago by Jaume Obrador.
It allows you to define periods that must always remain empty. It
currently works on a class by class basis, but I believe it would be
quite simple to modify it so that the restriction applies to all
classes. You can get this module from the CVS server.

> P.S. Am I right in thinking that some of the modules in the source
> tree are merely skeletal and don't actually implement the
> functionality they claim to implement? E.g. teacher_freemorning.c

That is certainly not true. All modules that are included in the stable
versions should implement the functionality that is described in the
documentation. However, there are bugs in some modules included in
version 0.0.7. Modules "subject_sameday.so" and "more_teachers.so" are
known not to work in certain conditions. All of these bugs are fixed in
the CVS version.

I have just tested module "teacher_freemorning.so" and I think it is
working fine. Can you send me an example config file that causes
"teacher_freemorning.so" not to work correctly?