Enhancing Tablix to support non-rectangular weeks

From: John Winters <johnREMOVE@THISsinodun.org.uk>
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 13:29:39 CEST

Looking at the existing Tablix code it appears to assume throughout that
each day of the week has the same number of periods. This doesn't suit
my requirements because we have:

        Monday 8/10 periods
        Tuesday 8/10 periods
        Wednesday 6 periods
        Thursday 8/10 periods
        Friday 8/10 periods
        Saturday 6 periods

The 8/10 arises because the two extra periods are right at the end of
the day (17:30-18:00 and 18:00-18:30) and are avoided if possible. On
Wednesday and Saturday we have school only in the morning.

My current view is that there are two separate things here. The
non-existent periods on Wednesday and Saturday shouldn't be managed by
scoring because they are always non-existent, regardless of the state of
the rest of the system. Periods 9 and 10 on the other days should be
handled by scoring, so this requires just an extra module.

Before I start work, am I correct in my analysis? Has anyone else
already solved this problem?

TIA,
John

P.S. Am I right in thinking that some of the modules in the source tree
are merely skeletal and don't actually implement the functionality they
claim to implement? E.g. teacher_freemorning.c