Guidance on creating input file

From: John Winters <johnREMOVE@THISsinodun.org.uk>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 15:53:44 CEST

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with creating my first input file for Tablix.

I have the following position (which must be a fairly common one).

Each student in the 6th form (16 year olds) can select up to 4 subjects,
one from each column. Something like this:

Col 1 Col 2 Col 3 Col 4
Maths Maths English Able
English Physics History Baker
French Geography Drama Charlie
Spanish

(subjects made up - these aren't the real options). You can choose any
combination you like as long as it can be created with one selection
from each column. Each column gets 8 periods a week, giving a total of
32 periods for each student, out of a timetable maximum of 44. The rest
(12) are study periods which gives a fair bit of slack in the
timetabling.

This then needs to be timetabled *before we know what the students are
going to pick*. We therefore can't assume that any lessons from
different columns won't have overlapping students. We can assume that
lessons in the same column won't have overlapping students.

It is therefore acceptable (but not necessary) for all the lessons in
any given column to happen simultaneously. It might be desirable for
them to happen at different times in order to fit in with teacher
availability. It is not acceptable for lessons from different columns
to happen simultaneously.

I'm trying to understand the correct way of entering this into Tablix.

My best effort so far is to enter all of column 1, without
restrictions. Then enter column 2, specifying each class as conflicting
with each class in column 1. Then enter column 3, specifying each class
as conflicting with each class in columns 1 and 2, etc.

My question is - is this the best way of doing it? I suppose what I'm
looking for is a way of grouping classes and specifying groups as being
mutually exclusive. Has anyone done this before?

TIA,
John