Re: timeblocks and timeblocks_sameday modules

From: Tomaž Šolc <tomaz.solcREMOVE@THISsiol.net>
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 10:59:23 CEST

Hi

> I went on with my idea of time blocks. You were right: consecutive2
> was just what i needed to start. timeblocks.c is only some lines more
> than consecutive2.c.

I'm quite busy this week. I'll have a look at your modules as soon as
I'll have some more time.

> I have no such clasess, so maybe rewritting
> sameday.c could make an improvement in speed. Thoughts?

If any of the modules you are using in your problem definition requests
a class extension, then the kernel will calculate the extension. If two
or more modules request the same extension, then the kernel will only
calculate it once and then simply pass the same extension structure to
all modules requesting it.

This means that if the sameday.c is the only module in your problem
definition that is using class extension, then rewriting it would make
a big improvement in speed (extension calculation takes approximately
50% of processing time). On the other hand if other modules are also
using this extension, then it wouldn't make much of a difference.

> Another thing: is there any reason for commenting out the rooms part in
> htmlcss export module? I activated it, and it seems to work fine.

The reason is that even without the timetables for individual
classrooms the generated HTML file is huge. If you use a lot of
classrooms the final HTML timetable can easily reach ten megabytes or
more. This is more than most browsers can handle and is practically
useless for publishing on the internet.

The solution would be to split the timetable into multiple files which
is planned for one of the next releases.