error: too many modules (glibc detected *** double free or corruption...)

From: Richard Taylor <rtaylorREMOVE@THISouc.bc.ca>
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 01:15:51 CET

Hi all,

I've been running tablix for a few months now, but yesterday I started
getting messages like the following when tablix finished, or whenever I
killed it:

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x08c08300 ***

I've traced the problem (after much head-scratching) to the following
line in modsup.h:

#define MAXGMODULES 20

which apparently limits the number of loadable modules to 20. Sure
enough, my homegrown modules have brought the total modules count to 21.
Increasing MAXGMODULES to 30 solves the problem, so I'm happy now. This
doesn't seem to be documented, and I thought others would want to know
about it.

Maybe there's a better fix. I'm not an expert coder, but shouldn't it
be possible to avoid hard-coding MAXGMODULES? Or would there be any
problem with just setting MAXGMODULES to something really high, like
100?

Regards,
Richard